Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In lieu of Bergfest...

I got to experience German healthcare first hand! It was a traumatizing experience, as it involved me walking half-naked into a room of german radiographers without a gown or anything to cover up. It was really confusing because I wasn't sure what they were telling me and I was flustered/embarrassed because I was naked in front of a lot of people. They definitely have a different perspective when it comes to privacy and the human body over here. I think as Americans, we are much more private, and I like that. :) I thought it was amazing how the socialism worked in the healthcare aspect. As an student from out of the country, I had to pay for everything up front, including my x-ray (31 euro), the office call (26 euro) and the meds (17 euro.) It would have been a fortune in the states. Plus, I should be reimbursed by my insurance company when I go back home. It would be amazing if the states offered xrays for 31 dollars, can you imagine? I was impressed. And horrified. :)

No comments: