Friday, August 29, 2008

Home

The highlight of the program for me was getting to learn more and practice more German. I enjoyed meeting new people, though I wish I had gotten to know more. I really felt like the initial hostility we felt resounded with me the whole time and I really didn't even feel like making an effort to get to know some of the people. If I could do it over, I would do it differently. Hindsight is always 20/20, though, right? I enjoyed the Studentenclub and it was especially bittersweet the last night, saying goodbyes to everyone there. I was really touched by some of the people there. I loved living in the dorms, very much so. One of the memories I will always have is the lovely people at the Milchbar in town. I really loved them, so sweet. They made us promise to come back and visit them again if we ever come back to Ilmenau. I really do plan on returning and keeping my promise. I don't know when I will ever be able to afford to again, but I hope to still. I met some amazing people and I have hopefully made some lifetime friends.

The most surprising thing for me about German culture is how they are able to spot a foreigner from a mile away. They make it well-known that they know you are a foreigner, too. That was really uncomfortable for me. I like being able to blend in, and it was a little difficult for me to accept that I can never blend in as a European, haha. I was impressed by their healthcare system; from the Apotheken to the inexpensiveness of seeing a doctor. I was quite taken aback by their different perspective on the human body and lack of... modesty? I was also really impressed by the accessibility of recycling for bottles and the all-over separation of recyclables. Really refreshing.

I think my vocabulary has improved these three weeks, and definitely my conversation. I feel like toward the end I just got so tired of trying so hard. I think I gave up giving it my all toward the end. I know how to tell creeps to "get lost" and I have learned various useful phrases during my stay.

I am just so glad to be home. Being out of your comfort zone for that long really makes a person irratable,least that's how I found myself. Europe (and the German Plague) physically exhausted me and I found my patience running VERY short with a lot of people. I think living with people in those close quarters for such an extended time will, in general, make you notice the things you hate about others. I would do it again in a heartbeat, though.

No comments: